Become a Physician Assistant
In educational collaboration with Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences, Saint Mary's offers a five-year program for physician assistants.
This highly competitive program for incoming first-year students will put you on the fast track to begin a meaningful and versatile career in the medical field.
As part of this accelerated program, you will spend three years studying at Saint Mary's new state-of-the-art Science and Learning Center on our Winona Campus (with limited seats also available at University of Minnesota Rochester).
The following two years, you will learn from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences faculty at Saint Mary's Rochester Campus and have clinical learning experiences at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and throughout Mayo Clinic Health System.
At the conclusion of your fourth year, you will earn a Bachelor of Arts in Biology - Health Science degree from Saint Mary's University, and at the end of your fifth year, you will earn a Master of Health Sciences in PA Studies Degree from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
This allows you to:
- Complete your degree in five years, saving on time and tuition costs.
- Put yourself in a position to work for Mayo Clinic, one of the nation's leading medical care organizations.
- Learn from the best in the nation, which will give you a tremendous advantage.
- Gain flexible skills needed in a variety of settings: family medicine, urgent care, pediatrics, surgery, and emergency medicine.
In addition to this and the many other majors offered at Saint Mary's, you can enhance your education with a minor in a subject that interests you.
- Integrated General Education Minors (an integrated minor is required for graduation):
- Creativity and Inquiry (21-23 credits)
- Environmental Sustainability (21 credits)
- Global Diversity and Social Justice (21 credits)
- Self, Society, and the Sacred (21 credits)
Disciplinary Minors (disciplinary minors are optional): Accounting, Art, Biology, Business, Business Intelligence and Analytics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Dance, Digital Media and Journalism, English, Entrepreneurship, Environmental Biology, Geographic Information Science, Global Studies, History, Leadership, Mathematics, Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Relations, Scientific Computing, Sociology, Spanish, Sport Business, Statistics, Theatre, Theology, Zoology
You'll spend three years at Saint Mary's University's Winona Campus, then wrap up your degree at Saint Mary's Rochester Campus, where you will learn from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences faculty and have clinical learning experiences at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and throughout Mayo Clinic Health System.
Applicants must submit:
Online application with three essay questions* https://www.smumn.edu/paessay
One letter of recommendation and an evaluation from one science teacher* https://www.smumn.edu/paprogrameval
A minimum GPA of 3.5 or higher
ACT composite score of 24 or higher, or SAT equivalent of 1170 or higher
The ideal candidate will understand the roles and responsibilities associated with a career as a PA.
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate leadership, commitment to practice locally, maturity, resilience, compassion, service, and military service.
Preparations in mathematics are required with courses that prepare students for college calculus. Applicants should speak with an admission counselor for more information.
* The essay questions, teacher evaluation form, and letter of recommendation can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once accepted into Saint Mary's University, your application will be forwarded for consideration for the 3+2 program.
- Application deadline: Dec. 1, 2019
- Notice of Saint Mary's acceptance: Dec. 11, 2019
- Invitations for personal interviews sent by Mayo Clinic: Dec. 20, 2019
- Interviews with Mayo Clinic personnel: Jan. 6-9, 2020
- Acceptance notifications sent: Jan. 17, 2020
- Deadline to accept 3+2 seat: Jan. 27, 2020
Rolling admissions. Application review will begin upon receipt of all required application materials.
|Tuition:||$39,600 Per Year|
Years 1-3, students will pay Saint Marys Physician Assistant program tuition and fees, and qualify for Saint Mary's scholarships and need-based assistance. The 2019-20 tuition for the 3+2 PA program is $39,600. Tuition and fees for the 2020-2021 academic year will be made available in October 2019.
Years 4-5, students will pay Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences tuition and fees.
The Saint Mary's Difference
The heart of Saint Mary's is its people — faculty, staff, and your fellow students — who become your companions and allies on your educational journey. Here, in an intense give-and-take setting, each of us discovers just how much we can learn. You'll find, in every one of our classrooms, a person-centered education focused on your growth, your potential — because we believe that everyone deserves the chance to make an impact, to change the world around them.