Master of Public Health
Help the public make long-lasting improvements to their physical, mental, and social well-being. In the online Master of Public Health (M.P.H.) program at Saint Mary's University of Minnesota, you'll design, execute, and evaluate public health programs to break boundaries and make the world a healthier place.
Throughout the program, you'll incorporate learning in social justice, health equity, and leadership while you examine ways to improve health worldwide. You'll learn tactics to prevent the spread of disease and promote equitable access to health services.
You'll also focus on your community through specialized fieldwork. You'll select an organization in need of your advanced skills and knowledge to help tackle a pressing public health issue, while helping you in return with real-world practice.
Upon graduation, you'll be able to:
- Ensure appropriate place-based public health initiatives by properly defining the community and its sub-groups
- Promote health equity through communication and engagement plans
- Integrate public health behavior-change theories, interventions, and strategies into community engagement, organizing, and outreach
- Evaluate, analyze, and report community-level behavior and health change as it pertains to policy, programming, and advocacy activities
- Promote inclusive and respectful collaboration with communities
- The curriculum was crafted and is taught by public health experts currently in the field with decades of experience
Your M.P.H. degree prepares you for a diverse range of careers with a singular mission: Improve quality of life locally, regionally, nationally, and globally. Below are a few of the influential positions that are in growing need of skilled professionals with an M.P.H. degree:
- Health Educator: $46,080 median annual salary, with 16% job growth projected by 20281
- Epidemiologist: $69,660 median annual salary, with 9% job growth projected by 20282
- Dietitian and Nutritionist: $60,370 median annual salary, with 15% job growth projected by 20283
- Environmental Scientist: $71,130 median annual salary, with 11% job growth projected by 20284
1Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Health Educators and Community Health Workers. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/health-educators.htm.
2Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Epidemiologists. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/epidemiologists.htm.
3Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Dietitians and Nutritionists. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/dietitians-and-nutritionists.htm.
4Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Environmental Scientists and Specialists. Retrieved from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/environmental-scientists-and-specialists.htm.
This program is offered at our Twin Cities Campus and Online
Preparing public health leaders, this program provides study in a diverse range of topics in public health. Along with the coursework, it includes both field work and an integrative capstone experience.
For more information and course descriptions, check out our course catalog.
Applicants must submit:
Completed application form
Non-refundable application fee
Official transcripts posting the applicant’s completed bachelor degree
Other relevant official transcripts documenting potential transfer credits
International transcripts must be evaluated by a university-accepted evaluator
A reflective essay which includes a brief description of the applicant’s background, training, and experience, a description of the areas the applicant considers to be their strengths and areas in which the applicant wishes to develop greater strengths and abilities, and any personal information the applicant wishes to share
Two recommendations that verify professional and/or volunteer experience and/or academic ability
A current résumé listing educational background and work experience
Applicants with international transcripts may require an English language proficiency exam
- Apply By
- Start Date
- Fall Semester
- Spring Semester
- Summer Semester
- Fall Semester
|Tuition:||$660 Per Credit|
The Saint Mary's Difference
The heart of Saint Mary's is its people — faculty, staff, and your fellow students — who become your companions and allies on your educational journey. Here, in an intense give-and-take setting, each of us discovers just how much we can learn. You'll find, in every one of our classrooms, a person-centered education focused on your growth, your potential — because we believe that everyone deserves the chance to make an impact, to change the world around them.